College Applications: Six Months

Applying to college is both an exciting, and tumultuous time. 
Throughout these past six months, I have written (and rewritten) countless essays, spent an unorthodox amount of time on collegeconfidential.com (CC), and along with the application process, I have learned a lot about myself.

Six months prior, I thought I knew all I needed to about college applications. My understanding was something along the lines of, "Get good grades in school, write an essay, take the SAT, done". Little did I know how much soul searching, passion, and thought was required for the essay component alone. College is undoubtedly a big step, and I wanted to be sure I was going in the right direction for me.

Six months ago I had not even heard about SAT subject tests (which several of the schools I have applied to require). Six months ago I wanted to be an astrophysicist; now I am in love with math and captivated by many topics within computer theory (though still very much interested in space). Six months ago I did not know that I want to eventually become a university professor. 

Everything around me is changing so quickly, yet I am somehow finding comfort in the consistency of this change. 

With each exciting new peek into my life after high-school, I am coming to a better understanding of myself as an individual: my goals, aspirations, values, and stances. No matter what I end up studying in university, I am confident that these values will stick by me, and incorporate themselves into whatever I put my mind to.

For anyone who will soon be going through the college application process themselves, or are currently in the middle of this exhilarating madness, all I can say is:

Do not be afraid to commit your time and effort on things that may initially seem "out of your league" (even if CC tells you otherwise) .
Remember that there is a place for you to thrive. You just have to be proactive and do your research. 
Try not to stress on things that are out of your control.
Lastly, make the most of your time and appreciate the present. The present is valuable, and the future depends on what you do today.

 In six months I will be preparing to leave for college, the start of a new life and an amazingly mysterious future. But for now, I am home. And that is priceless.

Kindly,
Paris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running Start

SIMUW Daily Entries

Washington Aerospace Scholars (WAS)